Saturday, November 14, 2009

Why is there numbness in one of my fingers after fencing?

I began fencing a few months ago, and although at first my hands were fine afterward, recently the right side of my ring finger on the hand I hold the foil with had been going numb after several bouts. At first the sensation -or lack thereof- would only last for a day or so and I figured it was simply because of the new activity, but after the most recent practice the finger continued to feel strange for over a week. Have any other fencers experienced this, and does anyone know how to prevent it?|||I%26#039;ve fenced for years and never experenced that. Is your weapon%26#039;s grip comfortable? Are you squeezing too hard?





You should be holding the weapon basically with your thumb and forefinger--the other fingers are barely touching and simply guide the weapon--you don%26#039;t grip it like a pistol. Maybe getting your coach to put your hand in the proper position would help, or switching to a different grip for your weapon.|||I have never heard of something like this happening to any fencers i know. if you are holding your weapon with your ring finger (the one next to your pinkie) then you are probably holding your weopon wrong. Do you fence foil, epee, or saber? and do you have a pistol, or french grip? this could be happening because you are holding your weapon wrong so i would talk to your coach about it and they might know how to help. if you have any more questions you can email me.|||Sounds like you are either getting carpal tunnel syndrome, or a pinched nerve|||you are probably cutting the circulation off somehow while fencing. ask your fencing teacher about it

No comments:

Post a Comment