Monday, November 16, 2009

Does concrete block fencing keep snakes out?

I am thinking about moving back to Arizona, but i am worried about rattlesnakes, scorpions and a lot of other things. Does anyone live in Arizona that has a concrete fence? Have you ever seen any snakes or anything else that%26#039;s poisonous in your yard. I%26#039;m worried about my kids playing in the yard.|||we live on the water so to keep snakes away from our home I put out moth balls. I throw them all around the house and around the yard. We do have dogs and they don%26#039;t try to eat the moth balls and we have never had our dogs to get sick from them.|||There is really nothing to stop them 100%. Best is Education - understand the nature of the critters and thereby understanding where they might move into %26quot;your zone%26quot;.





Rattlesnakes are nocturnal by nature. Higher risk of incidence is Brown recluse %26amp; Black Widow spiders.


Scorpions are also nocturnal and hide under rocks, etc during the day - but they will move into a house to avoid scorching sun too.|||I live in Las Vegas and I don%26#039;t think a block wall is foolproof, but it might help with the snake issue. Generally, Once the people move in, the critters move out. If its a rural area, maybe you could get some peacocks or some birds that will feed on the critters if they come around. Cats will kill snakes too.|||Snakes nest underground, so they can burrow under anything you build if they want. The wall will definitely deter them, but you are moving to snake country. I%26#039;d be pissed if you built a house in my backyard and so is the wildlife.|||Have not lived in Arizona but have been there many times (work related -- gardener / housekeeper). Concrete, or cinder blocks do not prevent burrowing critters from going where they want. Might deter them but not prevent. Living in a desert environment, you must educate your children. Plain and simple. Which means having to educate yourself first.|||If you want the best chance of keeping them out build a concrete or block fence but you would want to put a footing under the fence, or a thick rubber barrior a couple feet down around the perimeter of the fence|||maybe spray repellant and put concreate,


depends how high


if it%26#039;s high as a normal fence in concreate then yeah it%26#039;ll keep em away|||i live in AZ have block wall no problem but you never know they can crawl don%26#039;t worry unless you live out in no where land but you should be fine

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I agree with the "no where land" theory. I just bought a house right off I-17 and Carefree Highway in the middle of a gated community and I had a big angry rattlesnake in my driveway during the walkthrough before buying this week! They can be anywhere here in Arizona, especially in the Springtime and especially near a wash, near construction and near any natural areas like Lake Pleasant near my new house. Scorpions are the same. I find those in my third floor apartment on the wall in a busy community, but it's near a wash. You just have to be careful when you are out. I'm hoping the block wall around the back yard of my new house will keep the snakes out, even if they come into the driveway! Maybe it's a bad omen. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. peace in Jerusalem's neighborhoods as long as one part of its population lives in such a frustrating situation that doing crazy, horrible things seems to make sense in their minds. aluminum fence

    ReplyDelete