Monday, November 16, 2009

How can someone like me get started in Fencing & Martial arts?

First of all I have hearing loss, poor balance(I can%26#039;t balance on one foot and Mexico makes me fall a lot). and poor muscle tone but exercise can help that.





I have a passion for fencing and martial arts. I want to get into it. Am I doomed? I%26#039;m not disabled enough to go into Special Olympics so don%26#039;t suggest that.





|||I agree with everyone who answered before me!


You can totally go into fencing or martial arts, all you have to do is do your best.





I am a fencer, and we get all sorts of people at all different levels at my club. At one we even had a completely deaf person join, and she was really really good.





I don%26#039;t know as much about the martial arts, but the others do. As for fencing; go to this website (if you%26#039;re in the USA) and it has a list of all the fencing clubs in the US, you%26#039;re bound to find one near you!





www.usfencing.com||| Upon deciding to take up martial arts, the first thing to do is to search the area where you live, and find out what is offered there. You can use the internet, a phone book, and any other way you might go about finding something in your community. Then contact the instructor, and get started.





Your hearing loss would be your main obstacle, but don%26#039;t let it bring you down! When contacting the instructor of a particular dojo, you need to bring that up. I%26#039;m sure you%26#039;ll be able to find a solution. After all, you don%26#039;t need to hear to learn, and martial arts is no exception. As you said, strength can be attained, but balance can too. As you train, you balance will get better. There are balance exersises that can help, and some are even fun. If you have a Nintendo Wii, the game Wii fit can be used, as it comes with a %26quot;balance board%26quot; and has many exercises like skiing that increase your balance and coordination.





All in all, no. You%26#039;re not doomed. Far from it, in fact.








|||Salutations,


The only thing stopping you, is you. I am 91% deaf in my right ear, but I would say some aspects of my training make me a patient observer, so a hearing loss can be compensated for. You can learn balance, though it may be that whatever causes your hearing loss, could be affecting your inner ear, which can hamper your balance. if you feel Passionate about fencing, do everything you can to get there. My own love of the Blade began with a Foil. One thing, why does Mexico make you fall? And why even bring Special Olympics into it. I am the Father of a Special Olympian, and all of these folks are hero%26#039;s too me. good luck With Fencing. Cheers|||Good for you for considering martial arts. Many people make excuses as to why they can%26#039;t. You are looking for how you can. Awesome.





I think what you need to do is assess your goals, and set realistic expectations. Find a school and talk to the instructor. Explain your limitations and tell them what it is you wish to gain from martial arts.





Here is an article on starting martial arts and setting your goals. It may help you:


http://www.socalmartialarts.com/martial-...





Instructors will work with you to give you what you need. That is what they are there for.





I know a blind man that is a black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu and a girl wit h a prosthetic leg that is a brown belt in Kempo-karate.





You can do it.|||The main purpose of martial arts is to challenge yourself, excel against yourself. Whoever you are whatever your limitations are.


This applies to everyone, but everyone has limitations. But once we understand that limitations are to overcome them, and not to overcome us; hence we catch the spirit of martial arts.

No comments:

Post a Comment