Friday, May 21, 2010

Is Tensioning Necessary for Field Fencing with T-Posts?

I want to put up fencing to keep neighbor dogs and coyotes off my property, but know little about it. I won%26#039;t be keeping animals inside - just protecting my cats and garden from predators.





I bought 4%26#039; high woven wire field fencing, and 34 six-foot t-posts. My land is hilly, and the fence will be climbing up and down its entire length. It is soft dirt in spots, hard clay in others, with no rocks anywhere I%26#039;ve seen.





Some places say wooden corner braces are unnecessary, that you can make braces from t-posts using the right widgets. I%26#039;m interested in that, because you wouldn%26#039;t have to dig post holes. However, no site describes how to tension this sort of %26quot;t-post only%26quot; field fence.





Let%26#039;s say I did install wooden corner braces, and try to tension the fence. How could I tension that, with the land being as uneven as it is?





Is tensioning even necesary in this situation? Maybe just rounding the corners would work.|||After Miles of fence; I have a suggestion or two.





Your corner posts should likely be a bit more substantial,,,even using Chain link fence corners.





Tension in your type can be accomplished, with help; and not strictly as tight as chain link, though some of the critters you describe might either CLIMB or DIG.





If you are able, and have the option, you might walk the line and determine the Corners, then best determine the support mechanism...IE: Anchor wires angled away from each corner? Concrete poured into the cornet Post holes? Etc.





With chain link, when I do it alone, I use a %26quot;Come Along%26quot; in multiples, and WIRE/Bracket the fence section at each post as I move along. In your case you probably can do the same, even just with one other person,,,PULLING to provide the needed tension. DON%26#039;T USE WOOD!





At the corners, if the tension preceding has been accomplished, do the same, and YES %26quot;Wrap%26quot; if possible to keep from having to cut and start again.





Again... The greater issue might be at ground level, and access through/under, by any critters.





Steven Wolf|||#1, 4%26#039; fence is not going to keep dogs or cyotes out of your yard, if they want in. #2 in order to stretch wire fencing on hills you would have to put braces in the corners and at the top and bottom of every hill. #3 t posts alone will not hold stretched wire and probably won%26#039;t hold unstretched wire if only driven in the ground 2%26quot;.

No comments:

Post a Comment