Friday, May 21, 2010

Has anyone installed electrical fencing for an older dog, and were they trainable?

I have a silky terrier who is 4, and we can not have fences, we were thinking of moving but have decided to stay put. So now I want to put in the electrical fence so my dog has free reign, is he to old to learn his boundries?|||I recommend the brand Invisible Fencing. They will install, mark the area, and help you train your dog. I have a 8yr Dobie (neutered), and a 7yr old German Shorthaired Pointer (intact) and they stay home. They have chased cats, deer, other dogs, turkeys and Foxes. When the other animal is on the other side of the %26quot;boundary%26quot; it is simply out of reach and my dogs are finished it...I love my Invisible Fence.|||Not a good idea. How would you like to be shocked every time you got near the fence? BAD idea.|||An electric fence is an excellent solution for any age dog. The dog will probably learn very quickly where the fence is, and not go near it after that. It is certainly not inhumane--dogs don%26#039;t get shocked by just %26quot;going near%26quot; the electric fence. We have a huge yard, and our two dogs run free, getting great exercise without having to be walked. The only thing you have to be careful about, though, is that sometimes the fence will break down, either because the wire has been broken somewhere, or the batteries in the dog%26#039;s collar have run down. Hope this helps!|||Don%26#039;t worry he will learn very quickly. I%26#039;ve used the electronic fence and collar on an 11 yr old and she learned on the first attempt to cross it. Within a week she wouldn%26#039;t get within 3 feet of where it was buried.|||Electic fences are cruel...I have a terrier who is 3 and, with alot of time and effort, taught her to stay put without a fence around my house...it can be done without an electic fence...believe me...your dog is not to old to learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment