Friday, May 21, 2010

Any ideas for fencing, cheap temporary?

Need to keep q small dog in. Yard is 3/4 fenced, just need to finish. But I rent and dont want to spend lots of time and/or money.|||Hi Mellisa,





Answer one offers what is likely the least expensive fencing available.





Chain link might not be neccesary, but in rolls it%26#039;s sold at HD and Lowes 4 ft. high by 50 ft. for about a dollar a foot. Then cheap install would be paddle/shovel braced metal posts that have hooks to hold the fencing.





Less expensive might be Livestock fencing, like for farming/ cattle barriers/ chicken pens etc. It%26#039;s mesh is often larger 4 x 5 perhaps, and is sold in rolls. Chicken Wire might also work, and be inexpensive. I guess you know your dog better than we do or can advise about.





Depending on the size; strength; of the dog, and the possibility that they jump or dig, might be the only issues.





The posts I describe can be dug in a bit; or Driven in with a skedge hammer and block. I see them sold often in Green painted stock.





Steven Wolf|||Used wooden pallets make a really cheap but really ugly fence.|||Maybe use roll fencing. It comes in 3 or 4 foot high rolls and consists of wooden slats woven together by wires. It is fastened to steel posts that are driven into the ground.





(be careful around any sprinkler pipes or outdoor lighting wires)|||a skunk on a stick|||I had the same issue when I moved into my house 4 years ago. I got 3-foot metal stakes at the Home Depot (actually 4 feet long, but they sink in about a foot) that are made for wire fencing. I put one in every 6 feet or so.





I then got a couple rolls of 3-foot garden fencing (it%26#039;s like plastic coated chicken wire) and secured the fencing to the stakes using zip ties (thick ones that are about 8 inches long - they have lasted for years). Just start in the middle (halfway up) of the fencing and pull it tight. You then put in a zip tie every 6 inches or so, finishing by pulling it tight at the top and bottom. You can also leave about a 6 inch flap at the bottom, folding into your yard, to discourage any digging at the fence line.





At transitions, I used bent over nails (at a wood fence) or zip ties (at a chain link fence) to close the gaps. My dogs (toy fox terriers less than 10 pounds) have never gotten out.

No comments:

Post a Comment