Friday, May 21, 2010

Am I too old to start competitive fencing?

Im thinking of taking a beginer%26#039;s course starting next year as long as it doesn`t interfere with my running but at 15 I%26#039;m not sure what if it will benefit me in any way other than having a new hobby.Do you think it%26#039;s woth the expense?Will I still have a shot at competitions?|||I would say definitely try it! Though at most national and international level competitions, a majority of the fencers have been fencing from a slightly younger age (about 7-10 usually), there are still a solid amount of fencers who picked it up as teenagers, adults, or even seniors who achieve great success at the national/international level!





For a nice story, google Jujie Luan. She was a competitive track and field athlete for China until she picked fencing up at 16 or 17. In a year, she was on the Junior national team, and she went on to earn China%26#039;s first Olympic gold medal when they re-joined the Olympics. She competed in Beijing (her fourth Olympics, at age 50!!) and made the second round. Anything is possible!





Even if you don%26#039;t aspire to win the Olympics, or even compete nationally, there are regional and local tournaments that are open to anyone that you could do very well in after a very short time fencing. Most importantly, fencing is an awesome sport, and it%26#039;s one that you can do your whole life, so whether you want to use it as cross training for running, or pick up a new sport, I%26#039;d definitely recommend trying it! You can email me if you want any club recommendations, or to learn more about fencing.|||Fencing is a sport you can do at almost any age. There are different levels of competitions you can enter depending on your abilities. If its something you think you%26#039;ll enjoy and stick with, then yes its worth the expense.|||No way! Anyone can do fencing and anyone can be great at it. There will be people older and younger than you in your class. I was 16 when I started fencing and I still and in love with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment