Friday, November 18, 2011

Is the oak from an old dining room table when cut to size suitable for outdoor fencing?

New oak boards are so expensive I thought I might cut and plane the oak from two old tables to use as fencing boards. The question is %26quot;Will they stand up to the weather without twisting?%26quot;.|||It%26#039;s a bit hard to say. If the tables have been indoors, and stabilized to a dry environment, it%26#039;s possible that the wood could warp when exposed to weather, especially after being cut down to smaller sizes. It has to do with how well they%26#039;re sealed and painted after cutting them down. I have to add that oak is not all that great as an %26quot;outdoor%26quot; wood, compared to cedar, teak or redwood. I understand about the cost, and if it%26#039;s free, it%26#039;s worth it, but it will take more maintenance to make oak last compared to others.|||Just an idea.... you might be further ahead to sell the tables and use that money to buy treated lumber that would last longer.|||Well with my tongue firmly in my cheek I have seen some gardens in Coxhoe fenced off with a row of old doors, and some even have the knobs still on!!|||Sure if they can be cut to size. Be sure to give them a good paint job with outside paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment