Friday, November 18, 2011

How high does goat fencing need to be to hold Pygmy goats and baby goats.?

i am going to be buying pygmy goats and baby goats this year and i need to get the fencing up. I wanted to know how high it should be. How many posts i need to hold the fence. Also can goats jump? if so how high. Give me any info you can i need all the help i can get.|||You might check with these folks, they appear to have a lot of info...





http://www.premier1supplies.com/goats/sp...





Hope this helps.


Good Luck!





I plan to start fencing my property next year (economy willing).|||Pygmies can be pretty talented escape artists, but I%26#039;ve had more problems with the little guys sneaking under, rather than over, fencing.





Make sure your fence posts are set at about 5-6%26#039; intervals, and stretch your fencing tight. I have 5%26#039; chain link around the paddock area, and use 4%26#039; welded wire and t-posts around the pasture. I%26#039;ve also reinforced the bottom by driving in rebar %26quot;L%26quot; spikes every few feet. 4 feet seems to hold everyone just fine, but if the fencing isn%26#039;t stretched tight, goats can learn to walk it down and head right over it.





Goats can jump, and they can get over fencing or stall doors that are under 36%26quot; if they try. Make sure any of their climbing equipment or toys are placed well away from the fence.





Kids are often small enough to slip through calf panels, so I recommend looking for fencing that has a small weave.





Hope this answers your fencing questions and good luck with your new herd!|||I use a five foot high metal woven fence with metal posts about every 3 feet or so. Pull the fence very tight when putting it up and tieing it to the posts, and be sure there are no toys, chairs, stools, whatever next to the inside of the fence. They are smart little goats and will jump on anything to get over the fence!|||I use 5 strands of hot polywire spaced 3-4 fingers width apart to contain my goats. I prefer to train them and use that instead of traditional fencing. It wouldn%26#039;t be the first time I%26#039;ve seen an animal attempt to jump/climb a traditional fence and get caught/hung up in the fence. I%26#039;ve never had a problem with kids escaping after they learn that the fence bites.|||i had some once you have to use welded wire fencing make the holes small enough they cant put there heads threw or you wil constantly be out there getting them unstuck there horns get stuck then they cant get there head back in also use a t-post every 10 - 15 feet build a shed so they can get in otta the rain they need something to climb on out in the middle its what comes natural to them preferablysome huge rocks it cant be near the fence or they will jump over if they dont have the rocks a old car with no weels on it will do rocks are important because with out them you will have to trim there hooves. i loved my goats they dont jump very high also they have twinns olmost every time fence should be 4 ft high when they are real small they sound like real baby when they cry|||Premier is a great place for fencing. I recommend them highly.


I don%26#039;t like woven wire fencing for goats because they will walk it down. It might take a few years but they will.


Our fencing is welded wire that we got at an auction with very small holes. Regular cattle panels will allow babies to escape.


You might get by with 4%26quot; fencing if you have true pygmies but I keep my kids behinde at least 5 feet tall fence.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    The site can give you information about goat fencing, by using Wire fencing installation can give protection to them. Try to use this and good healthy food, thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete