Friday, November 18, 2011

How effective is invisible dog fencing?

We are considering invisible fencing for our new dog this summer. Is there a minimum age requirement for the dog? Do these types of fences actually work?|||I have had this type of fencing for almost 4 years now and it keeps my dogs in their area exceptionally well.





I would recomend it highly.|||sometimes (usually) the dog relizes if it goes really fast it only hurts for a secound then it stops and the dog is free thus no they don%26#039;t work|||They do work great with proper training of the dogs. I have a friend who has a big black lab, he used to escape conventional fences all the time...he was Houndini. He moved to a new home and installed the wireless fence and his dogs have yet to escape, even when he let the battery run down...lol. Just a precaution, you will keep your dogs in...but you won%26#039;t keep the wildlife out, so if you have coyote or other predators in the area I would not leave your dog vulnerable and unattended, restricted by the wireless fence. I also recommend that you try the actual %26#039;zap%26#039; level of the collar on yourself (I%26#039;m not kidding...I know this sounds crazy) if you are going to use it on an animal I think it behooves you to know exactly what the zap feels like so you have a complete understanding of how it works.|||It really depends. If the dog is not dense, have thick fur, and overall do what it wants any way, they work fine. If your dog is (mine was) denser than a box of rocks and hard headed to boot they will just walk across the line and look at you. Be forwarned even if it doesn%26#039;t look like it shocks your dog the collars hold a lot of power, not enough to hurt, but enough. :)|||When I checked into this type of fencing for my dog I wasn%26#039;t advised of an age limit but they did tell me that it works better with certain breeds. I have a beagle (known as a stubborn dog) and was advised that he may not adjust to it, would probably just run thru it and keep going. Needless to say we didn%26#039;t pursue it, but I have several friends who use this and it works well with their dogs. It requires a lot of maintenance and diligence on the part of the owner though. If your electricity goes out, it doesn%26#039;t work, if the batteries die in the collar it doesn%26#039;t work, you have to be careful not to accidentally dig up the wire (if you plant a tree, garden, etc.). And from what I was told some dogs absolutely freak out when they get zapped which can be harmful to the dog (have you seen the collar they must wear? - scary!!). Good luck with whatever you choose.|||I wouldn%26#039;t trust my dogs%26#039; safety to one of those. Many dogs figure out that they just have to take the shock and they%26#039;re free. Other problems can arise when the battery in the collar goes flat. Also, it does not protect your dog from other animals or people coming on to your property.





Get a real fence.|||It is much cheaper than a traditional fence. As far as how effective it is, that depends on how well you train the dog once it is installed. There is a training routine you go through after the fence is put in. Have them tell you all of the details about that before yo make a decision. I would no more want to teach my dog to stay in the yard by shocking him than I would want to teach him to sit, stay, etc. by shocking him. Some dogs, no matter how much you work with them, will take the shock and run through. Chances are that they will not take it again to get back in the yard. Also invisible fence doesn%26#039;t protect your dogs from something else getting to them. I had a friend who%26#039;s dog was almost killed by a pit bull because the pit bull could get in the yard but their dog wouldn%26#039;t run out of the yard to get away. Personally I would never use it. It is all about the owners convenience, not the dogs%26#039;.|||My uncle%26#039;s Shih-Zu runs through it about once a week.|||Depends on the dog. Typically, dogs with thick coats don%26#039;t feel the shock enough to be deterred. The fence will tell you the requirements for age and size on the packaging.|||This type of fencing only works on certain breeds. Dogs like greyhounds, whippets, huskies run too fast and are out of range before the fence activates. The packaging should tell you what breeds they recommend using it for, and which breeds are not suited to it.|||Works great unless it is a HIGH STRUNG DOG like a border collie


a dog thats gotta get to what it sees, then ours takes the shock to go out but wont take the shock to come back, another bad point is it keeps YOUR dog in, it does NOT KEEP OTHER DOGS OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment