Sunday, April 26, 2009

What kind of footing and fencing for my outdoor horse arena?

It is clay / red dirt. It has been recently rated and I want sand but not sure if I should use anything other than sand. Also I need a good not to expensive fencing that I can use as a turnout also.|||Since you%26#039;ve got clay, you need to assess your drainage during the wet months. A big downfall of many outdoor rings I%26#039;ve ridden in is they tend to get one spot that make a little lake when it rains or when the snow melts. Some places mix in gravel with the clay and overlay sand to help with drainage. I%26#039;d ask a contractor or even someone at a garden center about how to kep your ring from flooding and keep the sand layer from washing away.





The vinyl fencing (with or without the electric strip) isn%26#039;t too expensive, and probably the best for pasture fencing. Or you could always go with the typical sturdy wood set-up. Lumber is fairly cheap.

No comments:

Post a Comment