Sunday, April 26, 2009

What is the best underground fencing for giant breed dogs?

I need to get an underground fence for my Great Pyrenees, but I am not sure what is the best kind. She%26#039;s about two years old, and is just shy of 100 lbs. Right now she is tied up, and I can%26#039;t stand it anymore. Putting up a fence is not an option. (I tried, and she just walks over it.) And she really doesn%26#039;t like to live indoors all the time, so an underground fence is pretty much the only choice. Anyone with underground fencing - what brand do you suggest?|||I know that Innotek makes a good underground fence. (I%26#039;ve included a link to some Innotek products....sadly, no commission for me!)





More important than the fence is the collar unit. A good underground fence will have a steadily increasing ultrasonic audio response as the dog moves closer to the fence, rsulting in a shock if the dog gets up to the line. Also, make sure the shock is appropriate for a dog of your size. Too small of a shock won%26#039;t faze the dog; too large will knock it senseless.





Other piece of advice - plant plenty of flags so the dog knows where the new boundary lies. As time goes on, GRADUALLY remove the flags.





Good luck!|||PetSafe has a great fence too. See http://www.radiofence.com Report Abuse
|||Honestly, underground fencing is not a great idea. I suppose that chaining is worse, but the underground fencing comes with its own problems. The device can malfunction and 1)she gets out of the yard; or 2)she gets continuously shocked. Also, if she runs past the underground fencing, she won%26#039;t want to come back in the yard for fear of being shocked again. Plus, underground fencing doesn%26#039;t stop other animals (wild or domestic) or people from getting into the yard.





If she has walked over regular fencing in the past, I%26#039;d recommend some better fencing.

No comments:

Post a Comment